Pigeons can be a nuisance in a variety of different ways, from their loud cooing to leaving bird droppings and feathers.
Whether they’re swarming the space or leaving a trail of mess in their wake, pigeons can become comfortable invading areas while also carrying a variety of parasites and diseases.
Whether you’re attempting to deter pigeons from your home or business, you’ve come to the right place.
In this article, I will cover the 6 best pigeon deterrents that actually work!
So, let’s get started.
OUR TOP PICK
The RIVENNA Animal Deterrent is designed to deter a variety of animals, including birds, dogs, cats, foxes, and more!
Motion sensitive! The motion has an angle of up to 170 degrees and a detection range of 8-10 meters.
It has Flashing LED lights, PIR sensor, and a buzzer motor to scare off any unwanted animals.
- Easy to set up - This animal deterrent is user-friendly and is super easy to set up by simply placing it in the soil.
- Solar powered - The top of the chaser is equipped with solar panels and can be charged by solar energy or by a USB charging cable.
- Robust construction - This animal deterrent is durable enough to stand up to abrasive outdoor conditions and withstand the test of time.
- Slow delivery - One customer noted that this particular deterrent took a long time to arrive in the mail.
The Topsome Bird Spikes for Pigeon Small Birds are effective and harmless to deter pigeons and other small animals from roosting or perching on ledges.
These bird spikes have an unobtrusive design that you can hardly see, so it won’t ruin the look of your yard or property!
Topsome bird spikes are made of premium 304 grade stainless steel wires that are designed to withstand rust and the test of time.
- Easy to install - The stainless steel bird spikes strips have pre-drilled holes along the base to conveniently apply them to any ledge of your choice.
- Versatile - Whether you’re trying to protect your home or your business, the flexible base can be mounted on curved and uneven surfaces.
- Harmless - These bird spikes do not harm the pigeons, so you don’t need to worry about them getting hurt.
- Tricky to assemble - One customer claimed that they had trouble assembling this particular pigeon deterrent.
The PANGCH bird spikes are made to help deter birds from landing in and around your property.
The deterrent spikes are made of high-quality stainless steel that can withstand the elements without deteriorating in quality or becoming rusty over time.
These bird deterrent spikes are designed to deter birds in a humane way, meaning that they do not physically harm wildlife.
- Conforms to any surface - The mental spines of these bird spikes are rigid, but can be cut or bent to perfectly fit any surface.
- Humanized bird deterrent - These bird spikes are designed to deter birds without causing them any physical harm.
- Weather-proof stainless construction - These bird spikes are made of 304 grade stainless steel which won’t rust or weaken due to harsh weather conditions.
- Confusing application - A few customers claimed that they didn’t understand the application process of these particular spikes.
The ZOVENCHI Ultrasonic Animal Repellent is perfect for protecting your yard, patio, driveways, and more!
This deterrent is equipped with powerful two-color on/fff LED flashing lights and optional audible alarm for maximum impact.
The repeller can be directly charged by solar energy in the sun equipped with a solar panel on top of the device and also comes equipped with an advanced lithium battery.
- Motion activated - Sensor sensitively detects movement, helping to deter pigeons from your property.
- Portable - this deterrent is easy to install and is highly portable, so you can easily figure out the most effective place to put it.
- Humane and eco friendly - No traps, no dead animals, and chemical free means that this animal repellent is better for the environment.
- Unclear instructions - One customer claimed that the instructions for this particular deterrent weren’t clear enough when it came to setting it up.
The Ruolan 2 Pack Plastic Owls are designed to mimic a scarecrow to control birds from landing in and around your property.
These owls are ready to use and are portable so can be placed anywhere around your home, allowing you to easily find the most effective place for them.
These Ruolan owls also feature a bottom tab that allows you to fill them with sand to add weight and more stability in windy conditions.
- Stylish design - These owls make a very stylish addition to your home and can be placed in the garden, patio, porch, or more!
- Waterproof paint - The owl scarecrow is painted with delicate non-fading and water-proof paint on the surface to enhance durability.
- Humanized - These plastic owls are wildlife friendly, as they do not harm the birds in the process of deterring them away.
- Small - A few customers noted that these owls were smaller than they were expecting.
The Bird-X 54-1 Proof Bird Repellent Gel is made to keep birds away from roosting building ledges, window sills, and more!
Effective! This gel is easy to apply to the surfaces where you want to keep pigeons from landing.
This sticky gel works to keep your fencing and fences free from pigeons, their nests, and their droppings.
- Non-toxic sticky transparent gel - This product is non-toxic and is transparent so won’t ruin the appearance of the surfaces around your property.
- Easy to apply - Simply apply this bird repellent gel on the necessary surfaces with a standard 10" caulking gun
- Humane - This gel is sticky and deters the birds away from your property in a humane way.
- Not for smaller birds - One customer claimed that this product isn’t suitable for deterring smaller birds.
Best Pigeon Deterrents Buying Guide
There are a few things to consider before purchasing pigeon deterrents, but it mainly comes down to safety, durability, and installation location.
We’ve put together a handy buyer’s guide of the things that you should consider when purchasing pigeon deterrents.
Read the following factors before making your purchase.
Another factor you will need to bear in mind when looking for a pigeon deterrent is the bird's safety. Animal cruelty is never acceptable, and should not be something that you participate in under any circumstances.
Although you want to deter pigeons, you don’t want to harm them. That being said, you should always make sure that you are opting for a pigeon deterrent that is safe and humane.
This will provide you with the peace of mind that you’re protecting your property, while you’re still protecting each pigeon that comes too close.
Always make sure that you do your research and opt for a humane option when choosing a pigeon deterrent.
As a consistent problem that you’re trying to prevent, you will want to invest in a pigeon deterrent that is going to be able to withstand harsh weather conditions and the test of time.
A good way to gauge whether a product is durable or not is to check the product reviews section. In this section, customers can leave their feedback, good or bad, on how they have got on with the pigeon deterrent and whether they would recommend it.
If a customer has experienced a fault or flaw with the product, then they are likely to let you know in the product reviews section.
In addition to this, the product reviews section also reveals a lot about the business as a whole.
While problems occur that are outside of a company’s control, such as a package being lost or damaged in transit, the way a company’s customer service department deals with the issue will reveal a lot about the business.
Always check the product reviews section to determine whether a product is durable or not.
Before purchasing a pigeon deterrent, you will also need to consider the installation location.
A lot of pigeon deterrents are highly portable, such as motion-activated noise deterrents that you can move around your property to find the most effective place to deter pigeons.
That being said, other pigeon deterrents such as bird spikes can be less portable, especially if they’re nailed down.
This is why it’s important to make a note of where the pigeons tend to land the most and install your pigeon deterrent in accordance with this.
You will also need to be aware that when you install pigeon deterrents, you might end up with pigeons in another area of your property that is easier for them to land.
Bearing this in mind, you will need to make sure that all bases are covered when it comes to installing the deterrents for the best results.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do Pigeon Deterrents Work?
Yes, pigeon deterrents are an effective way of keeping and scaring pigeons away from your property. That being said, how well the deterrent you choose works will depend on the quality of the deterrent and the deterrent itself.
Some of the most effective deterrents include bird spikes, scare devices with flashing lights, and motion-activated noise deterrents.